About Me

My photo
Hi! In case you have never tried it, 4th grade is the best! I LOVE MY JOB! I am blessed to teach at a small Christian school in the Southwest! We have loads of fun and I have been told I am creative...I am just good at copying others! I hope this blog is a help to others and please always feel free to email me!

Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss (Part 1)

 
Who doesn't love Dr. Seuss??  Everyone can usually always name their favorite Dr. Seuss book from their childhood!  Our poetry unit covers Dr. Seuss and a few years ago, I thought, why not have a party!? It was a huge success! So, it is now a tradition! I must give credit to all of the wonderful, creative people on Pinterest and the internet...which is where all of these wonderful ideas came from!!!

Since March 2nd is coming, Dr. Seuss's birthday, I thought I would share ideas and pictures from last year's party to inspire you! 

I am afraid  to say, I don't do ANYTHING small!  Something sparks my imagination and it just snowballs from there!  I guess you could say that about our Dr. Seuss Birthday Party in 4th grade a few years ago.  I found so many new ideas, it was hard to stop!  And yes, I spent an entire weekend preparing and decorating, but it was well worth it!  So come along and enjoy!
 
Dr. Seuss always brings excitement into the classroom!  I begin by decorating and placing books all over our classroom that are easy to grab during free time.
  
 
Above is a small display on top of my bookcase.  Last year, Kohl's sold stuffed animals with books through the Kohl's Care program!  I was thrilled to collect many for only $5 each.  Included in the promotion was Cat in the Hat, Horton, and a couple others!  This teacher was all smiles! 
 
 
 
My bulletin board for the month of March!  :)
 
 
Classroom Door Decoration

 
A little "something" on the corner of my desk.
 
Again, I have decorations all over the classroom containing "seuss people" and books but I hate to bore you with too many pictures!  ;)

Two weeks before his birthday, I introduce Dr. Seuss.  Of course, all have heard of him, but not many know about his life.  We complete an author study and learn many new things about Theodor Seuss Geisel.  We read one of his books everyday and complete fun art projects like the ones below!
 


 
Sneetches
 
 

Horton
 
I adore how each project turns out with its own personality!  :) 
 
In small ways, I try to incorporate a little Dr. Seuss into every subject.  While reading a book, my friends may write down nouns or verbs they hear on post-its to add to our charts on the wall. 
 
I teach at a small Christian school and am blessed to be able to share my faith daily with my friends.  I was excited to find devotional ideas that went with our Seuss study!  One idea you can find here coincides with Oh The Places You'll Go.  Another devotional that includes ideas for Horton and The Sneetches can be found here.  During our Bible lesson each day, I teach one of the devotionals that goes with whichever book we read that day! 
 


I know I promised you a glimpse into our 4th Grade Dr. Seuss Party but I think that will have to wait!
 
Until next time,
~Jacquie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment