About Me

My photo
Hi! In case you have never tried it, 4th grade is the best! I LOVE MY JOB! I am blessed to teach at a small Christian school in the Southwest! We have loads of fun and I have been told I am creative...I am just good at copying others! I hope this blog is a help to others and please always feel free to email me!

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Snowmen have come to town! And a WINTER FREEBIE!

In Albuquerque, New Mexico, it just doesn't snow enough!  A snow flurry falling from the sky causes quite a hoopla and we all get excited!  We all begin praying for a snow day, doing a special dance, and one student even has us all putting a spoon under our pillow this year because he was once told it helps!  LOL!  Of course, we rarely have a snow day....  :(

As we come back in January after the holidays, to lift everyone's spirits, the room is decorated with snowmen everywhere!  My little friends especially love our bulletin board with snowmen glyphs and FUN snow facts!  It all comes in a packet by The Glyph Girls here!  The board is cheerful as you can see and later in the week, my little friends make their own snowman to hang on the wall!


I'm sorry the picture is poor quality, but the retangles have interesting and fun facts about snow.  The Glyph Girls set also comes with three worksheets asking comprehension questions about the facts!  It is fun and interactive.

Later in the month, we have a "small" snowman party!  Lol.  I seem to find a reason to have a party often!  Hmmmmm.....


As you can see in last year's picture, we enjoy Rice Krispy snowballs, mini donut snowman, powdered sugar chex mix, and snow punch! 





I always include picture books in our days even though we are in 4th grade, and my little friends always enjoy being read to!  During January, we read all the books from the Snowmen At Night series.  The fun thing about these books is every page has hidden items to find!  I have been able to collect them through our Scholastic Book Fair!



Aren't our own Snowmen at Night adorable?  I love how each one has their own personalities. 


Another fun activity I always find time for is poetry.  I created a small packet that is available on TPT that aids the children in writing their own "winter" cinquain poem.

I introduce the characteristics of a cinquain poem and write an example on the board about penguins (this example is included on a worksheet in the packet.)  We then write a cinquain together as a class.  I review many times what each line of the poem is to contain.  My little friends then give it a try!


The worksheet that comes with the packet is great!  It has the penguin example at the top and then reminders and space for their creation at the bottom! 

Once their work has been checked for spelling and the such, my little friends write their final copy on a "pretty" sheet (comes with the packet) for hanging on the wall! 


 
The lesson is quick and fun!  It also provides for a pretty winter display.  :)
 
 
THIS PACKET IS BEING OFFERED AS A WINTER FREEBIE!! 
 
Yep, that is right, you can download it for free HERE!  Enjoy.  Be sure to look at my store for Valentine's Day Poetry packs!  Fun and cheap!  :)
 
I leave you with one of my favorite cinquains written today in class by a cutie pie!
 
 Snowflake
White, Shiny
Flying, Sparkling, Tickling
A Beautiful Star
Crystal
 
Until Next Time,
Jacquie Neill


No comments:

Post a Comment